Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Helpful Writing Websites

My intended writing blog is more of a daily life blog, nothing wrong with that.  The problem is that I've fallen off the writing wagon.  I was doing well, pumping out 1000-1500 words a night and feeling good about my rough draft - well, as good as you can feel about a rough draft.  I then went away for the weekend and haven't been able to pick it back up.  I've been staying up to date with The Ultimate Blog Challenge, but not with writing my novel.  I want to finish this rough draft.  It will hopefully be the first novel I've seen through from start to finish.  So, to help get me motivated I'm going to share a few websites that I find helpful for getting my thoughts together and finding motivation.  There's only three of them for now, but they are all excellent and have a wealth of information to keep you busy for a while.

1. /r/writing on Reddit

Usually Reddit is a fun place to stop by and look at anything and everything from around the web.  It's usually not too serious and often times a little immature, which isn't necessarily bad when you just want a fun entertaining break.  However, if you find the right subreddits they can be tremendously rewarding.  The writing subreddit is incredible for writing help.  It connects you with a vast array of other writers, from beginners, to seasoned writers and even a couple editors.  You can submit your current work for critiques, get links to advice blogs and discuss problems you are running into as you write.

2.  K.M. Weiland's Blog

I'm not sure how exactly I found this blog, but I've been following her for a long time now.  Her books Structuring Your Novel and especially Outling Your Novel have helped me tremendously as a first time writer. Her posts and books have helped me gather my thoughts and get out of the idea stage and into the writing stage.


My book is in the Young Adult genre.  Recently I found this site and it's really helpful for giving advice, giving you updates in the Young Adult writing world and also fun other tidbits to keep you entertained.  Even if you're not writing in the Young Adult genre, I feel it's a great site for beginner writers.

A quick tip. When I am going through different writing sites and finding different writing advice articles, if I find something even remotely interesting I save it as a bookmark in my 'Writing Advice' folder.  Then, when I feel like reading some articles I go through and see which ones are good and delete those that aren't quite what I was looking for.  That way I have a nice collection of writing advice to read when I need some motivation.

Do you have writing blogs or sites that you visit often to help get you motivated?  If so, please share!  I can use all the help I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment