Friday, October 4, 2013

Born and Raised a Gamer

The Club Nintendo stuff I've received for buying far too many Nintendo games.  That Mario figurine in the back is awesome.  I was going to call it cheaply made, but then while setting it up for the picture I accidentally tossed it across the room and it didn't break, so I take it back.

I like to play video games. I've played games for as long as I can remember. My parents and older sister would play Atari and the original Nintendo while I looked on.  I couldn't have been more than 6, but I always wanted to play, usually I was told I was too young, and they were right.  Whenever I would get a chance to play I would fail miserably and get frustrated because it looked fun when they played, but when I did, it was just a mess.  But with time I've mastered the fine art of gaming. I dare say I'm the best of the family now. Take that!

So, what games do I play?  A large variety.  I've always been a fan of Zelda and Mario. Still debating whether I want to get the new Windwaker for Wii U.  Windwaker is my favorite Zelda game, but dishing out $50 for only revamped graphics is tough.  

I got into playing Grand Theft Auto a few months ago when I borrowed by dad's GTA IV and promptly became addicted.  I also had an old GTA game for the PS2 that I mostly liked to steal cars and then follow the rules of the road while I drove them around.  Yeah, that was what GTA was made for. I was eagerly awaiting GTA V, only to find out a few days before the release date that it was not yet releasing for PC.  My face was one of sad.  I'm still fuming over not being able to get my hands on it.  It looks amazing, but I'm trying to be patient.

I've been addicted to Skyrim for a while. Made the mistake of asking for it for my birthday while in college.
After the studying was done and I was avoiding sleep, Skyrim and Tropico 4 kept me up late being a badass, female Dovahkiin and building up my own personal paradise.

Skyrim being gorgeous!
I've also been known to play games like Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing.  Only Harvest Moon can make it interesting to run a farm in almost real time.

One of my long time favorites are the Nancy Drew games.  I received the first three PC games for Christmas one year when I was young, as a joint gift between my mom and grandma.  I have been addicted ever since. The 29th game in the series is coming out this month.  I've already pre-ordered it and am eagerly awaiting solving another mystery with Nancy.  I will play these games until they stop making them.

My Nancy Drew games!  Collecting and playing since 1991!
The Sims! How could I forget the Sims.  I got the original Sims game for my 11th birthday, and I've stuck with it through the years.  Now, with The Sims 3, I download masses of custom content so I can make pretty Sims and then after spending an hour putting a Sim together, found I've exhausted my want to play the sims and exit out.

Riding home from from your wedding, still in your dress, on an aquasled?  That's just the everyday life of being a Sim
I can't really be labeled as one type of gamer or another.  I play a variety of games, mostly for the PC or Nintendo consoles and like games where I have some sort of free will. I like sidequests.  Sometimes it's essential to take a break from the main game play and go on a side trek.  Oh, Skyrim's in the middle of a civil war, hold up, I need to go deliver a book to someone.  Ganondorf has kidnapped Zelda?  Let me go collect some bugs real quick. I was really proud of myself when I reached 100% on Assasin's Creed IV even though it involved crouching and staring at people on the homestead for extended periods of time "documenting" their everyday tasks. Why was that even part of the game? I don't know, but I needed that 100%!

So, do you play video games?  If so, which ones?  Do you share some of my favorite video games?  Tell me about it!


5 comments:

  1. Yes, I most definitely share your love of video games! Sims, Mario and Donkey Kong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are coming out with a new Donkey Kong for Wii U! I still need to finish Super Mario...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been looking forward to that new Donkey Kong. I see that Trixie is back! She was always one of my favorites.

      Delete
  3. I totally got GTA: Vice City so I could drive around listening to 80s music.

    I've been playing a lot of Kirby games on the Wii and have the old Mario to play. I also like to play the Professor Layton games. I love the Sims but it is very time consuming. Lately I've been wasting time with Simpsons: Tapped Out on my phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, The Sims is time consuming. Can plan on just playing for an hour and suddenly a whole evening is gone. I've been curious about the Professor Layton games for a while. I'll have to give one a try.

      Delete