Wednesday, October 2, 2013

By the Seaside: Day 2

Seaside Trip continued...

Second day in Seaside we visited Camp 18, an old logging camp turned Restaurant.  They have cinnamon rolls the size of your head and pancakes, which they have named "Flat Cars", that are even bigger.

My breakfast of "flat cars", eggs, bacon, sausage and clogged arteries.

Next we went to the Tillamook Cheese Factory, where workers make cheese while you stare at them from a platform behind glass like they're animals in a zoo. Then you visit the gift shop and buy a ridiculous amount of cheese and other cheese related souvenirs.

Cheeeeeeese!

I ended the day by visiting the Aquarium with my dad where we fed fish parts to adorable seals. There was one baby named Pinni that was too adorable; I tried to get a picture of her, but they were splashing too much and I was afraid my camera would fall victim to the seal waves.

At the Aquarium there was also a fish that had traveled for two years inside a Japanese fishing boat, eating off of the marine life that accumulated in the boat, after the 2011 tsunami.  I found it fascinating.  There is a little bit about it at the Seaside Aquarium site here if you're interested.  


They also had a whale skeleton.   I've always had a fascination/fear of whales.  (Used to think they were hiding in the deep end of swimming pools).


I also bought a souvenir pirate ship because why the hell not?

Here's the ship pillaging and plundering Dresser Giraffe Land.  Run giraffes, run!
We finished the day at the beach as the sun set.  I always aim to dip my toes into the ocean but usually end up submerged up to my rearend, thoroughly soaking my jeans.  I can't resist that freezing cold ocean water. 

Beautiful ocean, I wish I could live closer to you.
The next day as we headed out of rainy Seaside we got a flat tire so we visited a wonderful little shop called Les Schwab, where we ate popcorn for breakfast and watched a history channel show on how truly creepy Benjamin Franklin was, while our tire was fixed. Then followed up by a 4 hour drive home. Perfect end to a vacation.

1 comment:

  1. Seeing the ocean from my window everyday would be truly relaxing! Yum Cheese!

    ReplyDelete